Tuesday

Sequence of tenses

The Sequence of Tenses is the principle in accordance with which the tense of the verb in a subordinate clause follows the tense of the verb in the principle clause. (Sequence is connected with the Latin verb sequor, follow)
The Sequence of tenses applies chiefly to Adverb Clauses of Purpose and Noun Clauses.
1. A Past Tenses in the principal clause is followed by a past tense in the subordinate clause : as
He hinted that he wanted money.
She replied that she felt better.
I found out that he was guilty.
He saw that the clock had stopped.
He replied that he would come.
I never thought that I should see him again.
I took care that he should not hear me.
They climbed higher that might get a better view.
I worked hard that I might succeed.
There are, however, two exception to this rule :
a. A past Tense in the principal clause may be followed by a Present Tense in the subordinate clause when the subordinate clause expresses a universal truth; as;
Newton discovered that the force of gravitation makes apples falls.
Galileo maintained that the earth moves round the sun.
Euclid proved that the three angles of a triangles are equal to two right angles.
He said that honestly is always the best policy.
b. When the subordinate clause is introduced by then even if there is a Past Tense in the principal clause, it may be followed by any tense required by the sense in the subordinate clause; as;
He liked you better than he likes me.
He helped him more than he helps his own children.
They saw him oftner than I see him now.
He valued his friendship more than he values mine.
2. A Present or Future Tense in the principal clause may be followed by any Tense required by the same; as;
He thinks that she is there.
He thinks that she will be there.
He thinks that she was there.
He will think that she is there.
He will think that she will be there.
He will think that she was there.
But in sentence where the subordinate clause denotes purpose, it the verb in the principal clause is Present or Future. The verb in the subordinate clause must be Present; as;
I eat that I may live.
I shall nurse him so that he can live.1

Insert the correct tense of the verb:-
- Whenever we ………….we talk of old times. (to meet)
- He ran because he ……………..in a hurry. (to be)
- After the shower ……………. over, the sun shone out again. (to be)
- He fled where his pursuers ……….. not follow. (can/could)
- Whenever there is coal you …………. Find iron. (will/would)
- The notice was published in order that all …………know the facts.(may/might)
- His health has improved since he ……. India. (to leave)
- He finished first though he ……….. late. (to begin)
- He walked so fast that I ………….. overtake him. (can/could)
- He would succeed if he ………… . (to try)
- He came oftner that we  …………. . (to expect)
- She told him that she ……….. come (will/would)
- I would die before I …………….. . (to lie)
- You may sit whenever you ………… .(to like)
- He eats as much as he ……….. . (can/could)
Fill in the blanks with approppriate auxialiarities:
- He died that he ………….. the flag. (save)
- He said that he ……………... again. (try)
- I wished that I …………… earlier. (come)
-He said that he ………….... an early reply. (give)
- You …………….. (go) only if you have permission.
- I asked him what his name ………… . (be)
- He went that to England in order that he ……….. be a journalist.
- They sold the house because it …………. Old.
- He told them they …………. Wrong.
- When the sun set, he ……………. Home. (go)
- I heared that there …………… a disturbance in the city.
- He begs from door that he ………….. body and soul together. (keep)

0 comments: